Process Service for Divorce

Going through a divorce can be one of the toughest times for any person. It takes a lot of courage to decide that you’ll go ahead and start a proceeding. You just want things to be over as soon as possible. Some spouses do not realize that just like how getting married requires the consent of two people, getting divorced does, too.

What does that mean? It simply means that the other person has to be notified of the court proceeding.  This is what’s known as process service.

The last thing you probably want to do right now is to contact your spouse. So how does he or she get notified? It actually depends on the kind of application filed. The method of giving notice required may also differ, depending on the court where you filed.

If it’s an urgent case, your spouse will have to be personally served with documents that notify him of the case. In proceedings like petitions for divorce, applications for divorce by written agreement, and urgent or emergency basis proceedings, someone impartial (that means not you or any other person named on the court file) must hand the documents directly to your spouse.

It is therefore important that you have a valid address for your spouse. This information is crucial, if you want your case to proceed without delays. If you don’t have it, here are some things you can do to find the address:

  • Do internet searches through search engines or social media
  • Check with relatives, friends, colleagues, and other people who might know where your spouse lives or works
  • Hire a private detective
  • Hire a process server. You can also ask your lawyer for advice on how you can get a reliable process server.

It is expected that you will take all possible steps to get the address for your spouse, given that it’s safe to do so and you are not prohibited from contacting that person.

Once an address is obtained, your spouse will have to be served with divorce documents. You are going to need a professional process server to personally deliver the documents and hand them to the right person. In case your spouse has a lawyer nearby, the proceeding can be served through him or her, given that you are sure that the lawyer is representing your spouse.

The task of locating your spouse and getting him or her served is a tedious task. That’s why it is important that you have a reputable process server who can assure you that your documents will be handed to the right person within the period given by court. Select Document Services Inc. can do that for you. You can contact us directly or ask your lawyer about giving us a call. We’ll take care of the process service so that’s one less thing you’d worry about.